Red Hat Society is delighted to participate in a study, beginning this October, with The Pennsylvania State University , a prestigious academic institution. You must sign up right away if you are a Supporting Red Hat Society Member who wants to participate in the study. Please read and apply to the link listed below if you are interested in participating, but be sure you can dedicate the necessary time to this very important project. We were originally part of an earlier study by Penn State in 2004. That study found that Red Hat Society does a great deal of good for women including helping them make friends, enjoy life and have fun, and providing a venue for dealing with multiple stressors. Now Penn State would like to extend the initial study to look more specifically at how Red Hat Society contributes to women’s health and well-being. This is very exciting! We’ll have scientific proof to share with the world what we already know, Red Hatters Matter! Yeah for us!
A Message From Penn State:
** WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE PART OF ADVANCING SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE ON WOMEN’S HEALTH AND WELL-BEING IN LATER LIFE? **
** WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES AS A RED HAT SOCIETY MEMBER? **
If so, please consider being a participant in our research study.
Hi, my name is Careen Yarnal and I am a faculty member at The Pennsylvania State University. My research team is conducting a study to investigate the ways the Red Hat Society might contribute to the health and well-being of its members. For the study to be a success, WE NEED YOU! Please consider donating your time to be a part of this groundbreaking study.
If you are interested in helping us you should be:
- A Red Hat supporting member or a Red Hat supporting Queen age 50 or over
- A supporting member during the entire study
- Have access to a computer and the Internet
- Be willing to make a full commitment to filling out all the on-line questions for the duration of the study
There are two possible levels of participation. You can select to participate at Level 1 only.
Or you can select to make a bigger time commitment by participating at BOTH Level 1 AND Level 2.
We can only accommodate 1000 members at Level 1 and 1000 members at Level 2.
If more members want to participate than we can accommodate, we will select participants to get as global and diverse representation of membership as possible.
Participants in Level 1 of this study will be willing to:
- Complete ONE 30-minute survey online
- The total time commitment for Level 1 is about 35 minutes.
Participants in Level 2 of this study, in addition to completing Level 1, will be willing to:
- Check email at least once daily for updates and additional information for the entire year of the study
- Complete a questionnaire online once every month for the entire year of the study (25 minutes every month)
- Complete an end-of-study questionnaire online (30 minutes)
- The total time commitment for Level 2 is ONLY about 5 1/2 HOURS over the entire YEAR.
To submit as a possible Level 1 and/or Level 2 participant, please click on the following URL:
The URL will be open until September 17th, 2010. We will notify you by email if you have been selected for the study or not by September 27th, 2010. The study will begin on October 4th, 2010.
After the study is completed, to thank you for participation, we will email you general results within six months of completion of the Level 2 study. We also plan to share general results with the scientific community and with the media.
YOU are what will make this study a success. We are truly appreciative of this wonderful opportunity.